Kevin B Skea
Contents of testimony:
- MY EARLY CHILDHOOD YEARS.
- About myself.
- Mom and Dad.
- Searching for happiness and fulfillment with in the church.
- My sister, Nicola.
- MY TEENAGE YEARS.
- The clinical child psychologist and kiddies’ cocaine.
- My attempted suicide.
- I sold my soul to the devil for rock music.
- MY POP & ROCK MUSIC ADDICTION.
- My music system and music.
- Living flat out for the world.
- My contempt for Christianity.
- MY CONVERSION:
- The Easter Week end camp 1987.
- The bed bugs.
- My confession.
- My assurance.
- My witness.
- Her death.
- Her conversion.
- MY DELIVERANCE FROM POP & ROCK MUSIC.
- My resistance to giving up.
- The Grace to persevere.
- The heavy price I had to pay.
- My final deliverance.
- SOME FACTS TO CONSIDER REGARDING ROCK MUSIC.
- What the some of the fathers of rock & roll have to say.
- Affects of pop & rock on people.
- Christian contemporary, pop & rock music in short.
- What the Bible says.
- Letter from Russian Christians.
MY EARLY CHILDHOOD YEARS:
I grow up in Pretoria; I was an introvert, suffered from ADD and dyslexia. I was happy.
My parents were very caring and loving my Mom never worked, and brought us up. We were Roman Catholic. My Dad was conservative and my Mom Charismatic. My Mom & Dad preached and practiced high morel and religious standards to us children at home.
No Rock music was not allowed in our house even the wearing of jeans, clothes with labels and pictures was for forbidden, discipline was the order of the day, despite this I was very happy and secure child at home.
In my search for fulfillment in life, I truly believed the Roman Catholic Church would provide the fulfillment even eternal life I sought.
- I went to church two to three times a week, confession and catechism once a week.
- I participated in all the holy days and church rituals.
- I put my faith and trust for salvation hole heartily in the Holy Virgin Mary.
- I was Head alter boy who served the priest at holy mass.
- I had the position as head alter boy of offering incense to encrust, Mary and Saints.
- I grow up under the instructions, of Nuns and Franciscan Priests at the Catholic Monastery as a young boy while attending catechism.
- As a young boy, I wanted to become a priest so I could serve the church.
Nicola was my only sister, at the age of 14 she attended, a Methodist youth group and accepted a call to follow Christ. She lived an exemplary life reading bible attend church extra.
MY PRE & TEENAGE YEARS:
The School thought it would be a good idea that I visited the school clinical child psychologist. During the sessions, the psychologist “raped” me also putting curses on me telling me I was a disciple of the devil and it was his job to protect the world for “demons” like me.
Even worse, the visiting psychiatrist at the time put me on to drug a drug Ritalin this drug has the same chemical composition as COCAINE only prepared differently. Some of the street names for this drug are “Kiddies’ Cocaine, Diet Coke, Vitamin-R, Rids, Skittles and SMARTIES”. This drug destroyed my life, I became suicidal, I lost all interest in life, suffering memory loss, and I was like a ZOMBIE most of the time wanting to sleep and mostly thanks to the drug.
The reason I am still alive was the Holy Spirit direct intervention preventing me from committing suicide. Now that I am a true believer, I can look back and praise the Lord Jesus for his intervention through the Holy Spirit that day.
I rebelled against my parents, God and Catholic Church, blaming them for all that was happing to me, believing the psychologist lies. I was very confused and depressed at this time in my life and decided never to trust any one ever again I was around 12 years old at that time.
MY POP & ROCK MUSIC ADDICTION:
I got a pop tape of Cliff Richard cannot remember from where maybe my sister. It had one song on called (devil woman) I was instantly hooked and started listing to pop & rock music.
· I love pop and rock music as it satisfied my desires.
· I became very rebellious towards authority especially my parents and the church.
· I worship my pop and rock idles they became my surrogate parents I loved them.
· I through my high moral standards away my parents taught me.
· I sign a contract with the devil for my soul all I wanted was rock music in return.
· I was obsessed with rock music and spent every cent I got on music.
· I openly cursed and despised Christians and was into pornography.
· I started working and spent my entire second salary on a HI-FI system.
· I lived in sin doing what my idles did.
· I was addicted to the rock music like a drug addicted to heroin.
· I would get with withdrawal symptoms. If I went out with out my music.
1. I became very agitated and jittery.
2. I would be very – very impatient.
3. I would sweat and was nervure.
4. I would be obsesses and need my music NOW.
5. I would stop what I was doing and get my music no matter what.
6. I could only study and sleep with the music blearing in my ears.
7. To day, I am slightly deaf in my ears because of the music.
8. Nobody but nobody said any thing bad about my music.
· It was all about the beat and the rhythm the words did not matter to me the words could have been Christian contemporary or satanic, the beat was identical.
MY CONVERSION EASTER WEEKEND 1987:
Rudolph my best friend, who also suffered at the hand of the clinical psychologist, invited me to attend a Ester camp of the NG Church BKJA youth movement. I reluctantly accepted the invitation and only went because persuaded me telling me we would have plenty fun on the camp and it was not all preaching.
I told my mom of the camp she praised God and said maybe I can become a Christian I laughed at her said that would be the day and few other choice things about Christianity she started crying and I left.
I decided I would put on my religious mask to keep the peace and not embarrass Rudolph. His attempts to speak to me about the dangerous way I was living and my rock music were in vain. I just laugh at him and his attempts were completely ignored by me.
I heard the gospel for the very first time on Good Friday evening 1987 I was 20 years old. I was very confused about the fact I could do absolutely nothing to save my self. I decided it was not for me and I then whet to bed. I did not sleep at all, as the bed bugs ate me alive. The next day I was bitten from head to toe and it burned like fire and itched fellow campers asked me if I had chicken pox’s I thought of Job in the Bible and decided suffering was not for me I am not brave like Job and thought that Jesus wouldn’t help any more as I was to wicked.
That evening it was time for bed again I though of the bed bugs, no ways will I sleep, the Holy Spirit was moving me I walked out in to an open felt and came under the heavy conviction of sin. I cried out to Jesus admitting I was a lost sinner and going to hell it was a total reality, I was so totally lost and with out hope, I could see my sins ever before me (Psalm 94.7-9 and Isaiah 1: 18-20) began confessing them as the Holy Spirit convicted me. I cried like never before in my life I was truly broken over my sins.
I then thanked the Lord Jesus in faith for saving my soul (John 3.15-16). I then asked God where I should start in my walk, the Holy Spirit said stop smoking. I did not know smoking was a sin, as I received my first two packet of cigarettes at a church fait as I prize I had won. I was 14 years old at the time. No issue I stopped smoking.
The next morning I arose felling no different than the Saturday evening but I held on to Isaiah 1.18-20 we then went up onto the “koppie” the Dominie said we should spend a few mints in silent pray. I thanked Jesus in faith for saving my soul and the peace that supposes all understanding flooded my soul I knew I was save and indescribable joy come over me as the Holy Sprit testified with my spirit, the silent’s was broken that Easter Sunday morning when the Dominie said let us sing a song. The songs name was BLESSED ASSURANCE JESUS IS MINE and He is mine to.
I got home and told my Mom she and my sister were overjoyed.
It is with great joy I can speak about Nicola my sister. Nicola past away 20 October 2006. While giving birth to healthy baby girl Nicola asked that she is called Naomi it was her 4th child. Nicola was only borne again at the age of 27. After attending a lecture challenging us on our walk with Jesus I remember how Nicola came running to me with the biggest smile I had ever seen, telling me very excitedly how she had come under a conviction of sin and turned to Jesus for forgiveness and now had the blessed assurance of salvation, testifying that I now know Jesus personally. I said but you have been follower of Jesus since the age of 14. Her reply to me was that she was only parts of the crowd that followed Jesus around, and had and had never met Him personally till that day. She had to phone Mom immediately to tell her the good news of what had just happened and was testifying to all that would listen to her.
MY DELIVERANCE FROM POP & ROCK MUSIC:
My Christian walk started and Holy Spirit convicting me about the music I loved, my soul was troubled. The Holy Spirit continued convicting me. I tried to leave the music but could not leave it so I started praying earnestly seeking God in this matter. I truly needed all of his grace. I spent many nights on my knees crying and praying for deliverance as the attacks were very bad some times.
Holy Spirit revealed Gods grace to me over a period of 9 months before my final deliverance.
· I lost my very best friend because he made me choose between God and rock music. I also lost all my worldly friends in the possess. (not bothered)
· I then destroyed all my music, books, posters extra this happened in 1988 total cost around R550.00.
· The Lord Jesus set me totally free from the demons of pop & rock music. We truly serve a truly great God!!!
TESTIFYING FOR THE LORD JESUS
I stared testifying for the Lord Jesus sharing the gospel with others at Cross Roads Coffee Bar.
###SOME FACTS TO CONSIDER REGARDING ROCK MUSIC###
I feel the need to bring certain and little known facts about pop and rock music and how it affects your physical and spiritual life?
Scientist has proven that loud rock music can and has damages buildings and there foundations causing major cracks to appear. What about the damage caused to bodys and mind?
Hear what some of the founding father have to say about pop and rock music!
1. LITTLE RICHARD: (Directly responsible for the susses of the Beatles)
Little Richard was in fact responsible for giving the Beatles there first
big break in Britain when he allowed them to appear on his show in
Liverpool in 1962, after there manager Brian Epstein had convinced
him of there potential.
Little Richard stated “Rock” ‘n’ roll is devastating to the mind he
further admitted “Rock” ‘n’ roll doesn’t glorify God. You can’t
drink out of God’s cup and the devils at the same time.
I was one of the pioneers of that music, one of the builders.
I know what the blocks are made of because I built them”
(The Dallas Morning News page 14a, October 29 1978, as quoted in The Legacy of John Lennon, David A Noebel, page 25.)
2. John Lennon or the Beatles:
When asked why Rock ‘n roll meant so much to people - Lennon answered: Because it is primitive enough and has no bull, really, the best stuff, and it gets through to you its beat. Go to the jungle and they have the rhythm and it goes throughout the world and it’s as simple as that. (That is why I loved pop & rock music)
(Rolling Stones magazine page 92, February 12 1976, as quoted in The Legacy of John Lennon, David A Noebel, page 28.)
3. In an interview in Detroit Jerry Lee Lewis, one of the founders of the
Rock ‘n roll subculture, said:
“I am sorry that I was involved in the beginning of rock roll. I never dreamed it would take the course it has taken. It has helped to destroy untold millions of young people the world over”
(Rolling stones magazine page 12 – October 26 1972 as quoted in Bob Larson page 131)
4. Jimi Hendrix: One of the worlds finest guitar players, stated:
“Atmospheres are going to come through music because music is a spiritual thing of its own. You can hypnotise people with music, and when you get then at their weakest point you can preach into their subconscious whatever you want to say”
(Life magazine page 74 October 3 1969, as quoted in Backward Masking Unmasked, Jacob Aranza, pages 12 and 15)
5. According to Bob Larson, “An incessantly driving pulsated beat pattern is not inherently evil,
BUT when applied for a protracted period of time at high volume level, its effects can be devastating, especially at live concerts. Like any repetitious assault on ones neurosensory apparatus, it may shut down the conscious mental processes. This same technique used in eastern meditative disciplines such as Transcendental Meditation.
(Rock, Bob Larson page 52)
Bob Larson reminds us that-
“Rock is something more than just a form of music. To teens today it is a way of life that nearly consumes there every waking moment. Rock actually means more to than their parents, because its culture has become a surrogate family”
(This is very true of me.)
(Rock, Bob Larsen, page 78)
6. DAVID CROSBY OF CROSBY, STILLS, NASH AND YOUNG:
Do you still doubt that rock music and it stars can influence young people’s value system? David Crosby of Crosby, stills, Nash Young dose not. He says of the influence of Rock music:
“I still thing it’s the only thing to do. By saying that, I am not talking about kidnapping. I am just talking about changing young people’s value systems which removes them from their parents’ works very effectively.
(Why Knock Rock? Dan and Steve Paters page 96)
Here are some names of past and present pop, rock, punk, metal groups.
(I used to listen/worship some of these groups listed here above.)
Death Metal: YOU Magazine - spends a night with the worst music on earth.
It sounds like the combined noise of a fleet of lawn-mowers, barking dogs and a pneumatic drill – a jarring and deafening cacophony that finally deadens the brain…
Different types of Pop and Rock available to day. (These can be subdivided)
· Rhythm & Blues (the father of all pop & rock music)
· Pop music = (demonic-popular music)
· Rock & roll = (demonic-rebellion & promiscuity)
· Disco music = (demonic-“sex rock”)
· Punk Rock =( demonic rebellion-with excessive bloodshed & violence)
· Rap music = (demonic rebellion-and all manner of profanities, bloodshed & violence)
· Heavy Metal (satanic - openly worships the devil)
· Thrash Metal (satanic-need drugs to listen to)
· Speed Metal (satanic-need drugs to listen to)
· Death Metal (satanic-need drugs to listen to)
The big lie being promo-gated by the churches regarding rock music to day is that they allow the same music munched above using Christian name and lyrics all under the guise of “entertaining” to supposedly reaching the youth for the church. The churches are further silent on this issue as they do not want to affined or lose the youth. The youth do not need rock music!!! They need Jesus and the word of God. (JOHN 14.6)
The Lord Jesus spent 9 months delivering me from Rock music and Christians tried to re-introduce me to rock music I was shocked when I objected to listing to the devils music I was also rejected by them. Jesus and his dispels never had a music ministry.
I want to illustrate following about Christian contemporary music in general.
Luke 16:15 - And he said unto them, ye are they, which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is ABOMINATION in the sight of God.
Jesus said in John 12:43, "For they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God.
- CARMEN: (Top US Christian contemporary singer and loved in SA)
Carman’s view on Christian rock music and Christian rock group Petra/Stryper?
- Music will go as far as people will let it go.
- You can get up to a certain point in Christian music and there is no further to go, so then you cross over into secular music. There is nothing wrong with entertaining and performing.
- I like the music of Petra/Stryper.
- Just because it was not as spiritual does not mean it not impotent it’s important. It was very important.
- I cannot recognize Jesus in it; I am not going to pound on it, because I cannot recognize it, does not mean God is not in it.
- We need Petra/Stryper and what they do!
PS: (I have a copy of the full interview where he made these statements) Interview made possible by Ron Steel from Rhema Church in JHB)
Carmen CCM singer – dress as a hippy-Jesus fighting, then he “crucified” by a street gang
TIMES Magazine 11 March 1985 describes Christian rock band Stryper
In an article on page 60 - "New lyrics for the DEVIL'S MUSIC".
If you had to guess their name, you might think of the devil's disciples or the Beelzebub’s. Or perhaps the Killer Bees, which is what the four young men on the stage look like in their tight leather-and-spandex costumes crisscrossed with garish black and yellow stripes. Piles of makeup, spiky hair and enough dangling chains to tie up half the elephants in Africa complete the picture of the up-to-date heavy-metal rock group. Even the music, the sound of a swarm of angry insects electronically amplified several thousand times, fits the image.
4 male members - Stryper Tim Gains - Stryper Robert sweet - Stryper
Stryper has 4 male band members these are 2 of them. (See photos on rite)
Hard-core contemporary Christian’s music strives to make Christ acceptable to man ----- rather than men acceptable to Christ! It attempts to lower the Lord Jesus to humanity’s basest level rather that elevating man to his level. It is not of God.
(A Jimmy Swaggart quotation)
Rock music attracts people to the church, but not to Godly living.
YOU SHELL KNOW THEM BY THERE FRUITS: - (Matthew 7: v16)
In closing just a few questions, you can honestly ask yourself while with God.
- Does the music I listen to satisfy my flesh or spirit?
- Does the music entertain my flesh be honest with yourself?
- How much time, effort and money do I spend on my music?
- Is the music I listen to receiving any of my praise or worship?
- Can I honestly say that the music I listen to truly glorifies God in every aspect?
- Is my own spiritual satisfaction more important to me or Christ and him alone?
- Do you have a burden for praying and winning lost souls for Christ?
The word CONTEMPORARY means = similar to or like the world / fashionable.
The Bible is very clear! A Christian should be separated from the world and rock music.
John 8:32 And ye shall know the TRUTH, and the TRUTH shall make you free.
John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the TRUTH, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
John 14:16-17 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of TRUTH; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
1 Timothy 3:15 But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the TRUTH.
2 Corinthians 6: 17 "Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord and tough not the unclean thing: and I will receive you.”
“Ephesians 5:11 says, "And have NO FELLOWSHIP with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them."
John 15:18,19 "If the WORLD hate you, ye know it hated me before it hated you. If ye were of the WORLD, the WORLD would love his own: but because ye are not of the WORLD, but I have chosen you out of the WORLD, therefore the WORLD hateth you.
1 John 2:15-16 “Love not the WORLD, neither the things that are in the WORLD. If any man love the WORLD, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the WORLD, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the WORLD."
Mark 13: 5-6 And Jesus answering them began to say, Take heed lest any man deceive you; For many shell come in my name saying, I am the Christ; and shell deceive many,
LETTER FROM THE RUSSIAN CHURCH TO US CHRISTIANS
From the "Head of the Unregistered Union of Churches in Russia"
Appeared in "Life", dated 21, May, 1992
For thirty years, we have suffered intense persecution. Now freedom is bringing another great harm to our churches. This damage is coming from Christians in America who are sending rock music and evangelists accompanied by rock bands. Our young people do not attend those meetings because we have all committed not to participate in secular entertainment.
This is a great burden to our hearts. Many come with Bible in hand and rock music. We are embarrassed by this image of Christianity. We do not know what words to use in urging that this be stopped. We abhor all Christian rock music coming to our country.
Rock music has nothing in common with ministry or the service to God. We are very much against Christian Americans bringing to our country this false image of "ministry" to God. We need spiritual bread... not false cakes. It is true that rock music attracts people to the church, but not to Godly living.
We were in prison for fifteen years for Christ's sake. We were not allowed to have Christian music, but ROCK MUSIC was used as a weapon against us day and night to destroy our souls.
We could only resist with much prayer.
Now, we have a time of more openness. We are no longer taken to prison. However, now it is Christians from America who damage our souls. We do not allow this music in our church, but these "evangelist" rent big stadiums and infect teenagers and adults with their rock music. We, the leadership and congregations of the Unregistered churches urge you to join with us, and we advise you to remove rock music from America.
Do not desecrate our teenagers with it. Even the unbelievers recognize it is unholy music. We call this music, "music from hell." We urge all Americans to stop giving money for the organizations of such concerts in Russia. We only want traditional Christian music in our churches.
This is the unanimous decision of all our leaders.
Peter Peters and Vasilij Ryzhuk,
Unregistered Union of Churches, Moscow, Russia, April 15, 1992
Kevin B Skea
P O Box 413
Cell: 082 – 535 39 39